ARE YOU FIT FOR BUSINESS? As your Health is, so will your business be! Your business is an extension of who you are, if you are unhealthy, constantly fighting illness etc then the same will occur in your business. If your health is not sorted, then you can be guaranteed that there will be a part of your business that isn’t working either.
Does the thought of exercising make you cringe?
Exercising doesn’t have to mean jumping around doing crazy things like Burpees (crazy full body exercise that requires a lot of effort, and makes you sweat) or running. Exercise should be fun. If you enjoy it you will stick to it. If you enjoy dancing – get dance lessons, if you enjoy tennis – do that. If you enjoy swimming, then swim. Whatever it is that you enjoy that is moving your body, gets you away from your desk and makes you feel good, then go and do it, and do it regularly.
Being healthy and fit for business is more than just eating well and exercising. Our mental health and emotional health is just as important for us to look after. So what can you do to make sure you have a balanced approach?
Love & Honor Yourself
‘What has this got to do with being in business’ I hear you ask? We often get caught up in the daily task of being mum, running our business and looking after the family that we often forget to look after our own needs.
Taking time out for some self-love each day or at least once a week will help feel rested and will rejuvenate your mind, body and soul. You will be a happier person and will be able to focus on your business tasks with renewed vigour.
Some of inexpensive ways to show self-love include;
• Shut self away for half an hour to read a book
• Soaking in the tub at the end of the day
• Go for a walk – 30 mins is enough to clear the head and lift your spirits.
Eat Good Nutrition 80% of The Time
Balance is key, when it comes to nutrition. Eating clean, natural foods 80% of the time will fuel your body and your brain for the daily demands of running your business.
Eat regularly, don’t skip meals! Eating regularly keeps your metabolism firing which means your body is working for you, not against you in producing energy.
Enjoy an occasional treat – allow yourself to enjoy that glass of wine at the end of the week, or that piece of dark chocolate in the evening. When we try to avoid all the ‘bad’ food, we can become obsessed with that food and eventually will binge on it. This has a negative effect on us mentally as well as physically.
Exercise for General Wellbeing
• Exercising is the quickest way to boost your mood
• Clear away any brain fog, and I often find, brings clarity for things on my mind.
• It can assist in bringing great ideas, and new direction for your business.
• Walking meetings – great way to connect and stay FIT for business
How Do I Fit It All In?
Time – is the number one excuses that I hear from many women in business when it comes to exercising and eating well. My question to them is, ‘Do you have time to be sick’? Forced time off due to illness is much harder to cope with than 30 minutes of exercise, 3 – 4 times a week to focus on being fit for business. So how do you fit it in?
• Plan it – at the beginning of the week, schedule in all your appointments, kids activities, network meetings etc. then schedule in your exercise time. Select a time you know you can stick to and make it a non-negotiable appointment with yourself.
• Be prepared – if eating on the run, or leaving your food to chance each day lets your health efforts down, pack your lunch when you’re doing the kids lunches in the morning. Set a lunch box out for yourself and save yourself time but doing it all at once. You then have a quick easy to grab lunch and snacks ready to do during the day.
• Cook up a storm - If you enjoy cooking, set aside an afternoon on the weekend and cook up a few meals that you can freeze ready for your busy week ahead. Or, if you hate to cook, take advantage of the many easy pre-prepared meals that you will find at the supermarket. There is a heap of choice that is fresh, healthy and already for you to just cook and serve.
Being Fit For Business will help reduce your stress, improve your sleep and increase your productivity.
Tina Horwood, Body FIT Melbourne
Tina Horwood is a mum of two, Speaker, Facilitator of change and Personal trainer @ Body FIT Melbourne. She is on a mission to help busy women create a healthy lifestyle for themselves and their family. As a self-confessed lover of weight training, Tina helps women to shift their focus from being skinny to being strong.